Satsang is a conscious music collective. Creating a unique blend of soul, folk-rock and hip-hop, Satsang delivers lyrics that come from and are rooted in change, growth, awareness, and imperfection. The live show is everything that the band name suggests: a gathering of people to assimilate and share their truths. The rhythms put forth by the band keep everyone on their feet, and the lyrics leave them craving active and positive change. Satsang has toured all over the country and has shared the stage with the likes of Michael Franti & Spearhead, Steel Pulse, Nahko and Medicine for the People, Trevor Hall, Chris Berry, Mike Love, Jon Wayne and the Pain, Tubby Love, and many more.
Lead singer and songwriter Drew McManus creates music for his soul, fueled by the ever present task of personal growth and the beautiful life that he found in the Beartooth Mountains of Montana. Commenting on his difficult upbringing in Des Moines and residency in Chicago, McManus says, “I grew up in an environment where aggression, violence, abuse, and addiction were always present. It made me a lot of things; angry, sad, and ashamed. I hated my story and I was a slave to addiction. I tried for so long to hide from the reality of my story and the reality of how beautiful life could be.” It wasn’t until an intense spiritual experience lead Drew to break his cycle of addiction. “I had changed my entire outlook on everything” say McManus, “I began to realize that had everything not happened to me exactly like it did, I would not be exactly who/ where/what I am right now.” In an effort to share his revelation with others who may be in the same predicament, Drew began to write every day. “I was flooded with the urge to write down the lessons that kept revealing themselves in this surrender. And the connections I began making with other people by making this music vulnerable and open, began to change everything.” These songs are a statement of lessons learned and a further understanding of self. “The whole story is what makes it beautiful, not just the good bits.”
On March 20th, 2017 the band will be releasing their sophomore full length album Pyramid(s) on the Rootfire Cooperative Label. Featuring guest appearances by Nahko Bear and Tim Snider of Medicine For The People, Wookiefoot, Tubby Love, and Grammy Award winner Chris Berry. It’s safe to say Satsang is well underway to a big year.
“For a generation lost in a sea of mindless beats and meaningless words, Satsang is a breath of fresh air. In a time where poetry feeds and stems from rebellion and roots music resurfaces as the anchor for social justice and people powered movements, these kinds of troubadours are imperative for greater change. I am honored to be witnessing these young men hold a torch for positivity and love in the struggle and remind us all that change takes hard work, but together we can preserve a world that we all want to live in.” – Nahko
“I welcome Satsang warmly to my senses. I’m instantly drawn to the familiar style of singing that devours island radio; caught off guard by harmonic elements. I like this!” – HIRIE
“Satsang is a Sanskrit word that translates to mean “being with the truth.” Satsang (the band), is a Montana-based trio, creating some of the most exciting underground and conscious music released today. Their Americana style is at times part folk, part melodic hip hop.” – Rootfire
- Conscious music trio who’s sound is an eclectic blend of folk, rock, soul, and hip hop.
- Have supported Michael Franti & Spearhead, Trevor Hall, Wookiefoot, Mike Love, Nahko + Medicine for the People, and supported artists like Steel Pulse, Blitzen Trapper, Passafire, and more.
- Just released a hot new single off their upcoming album Pyramid(s): “Between” feat. Nahko, via Relix Magazine – https://www.relix.com/blogs/detail/song_premiere_satsang#1
- Pyramid(s), their forthcoming album featuring Chris Berry, Tubby Love, Wookie Foot, Nahko, Tim Snider, and Uncle Jo, is set for release on March 20th, 2017.
- “It still amazes me how far they have come in such a short period of time. With a very dedicated fan base and a lot of respect in the music community amongst other artists, Satsang is a band to watch closely. ” – GratefulWeb
- 2017 Festival performances include: Envision Music Festival, ARISE Music Festival, Shangri La Festival, Spring Up Music/Art Festival, Blues Brews and BBQ (Snowbasin), and more.
- 2016 Festival performances include: Shangri La Festival, Northwest String Summit, The Summer Music Festival at Roseberry, Sunrise Gathering Music & Arts Festival, Beartooth Basecamp, and more.