SPEECH TITLES AND DESCRIPTIONS
How I Discovered How Hilarious Depression Truly Is
John Moe, host and creator of The Hilarious World of Depression podcast, explores society’s reluctance to discuss mental illness and what needs to be done about it by tracing his own experiences with depression. That story is sometimes deeply funny, sometimes harrowing, and, more often than you’d think, both at the same time. Moe’s story is open, honest, and hopeful, as it blends in the thoughts of the numerous celebrities he’s interviewed to arrive at a positive and hopeful place. This talk also offers several simple things anyone can do to fight stigma and make the world a healthier place.
What I’ve Learned By Being Professionally Depressed
There are millions of people with depression out there but very few have managed to turn pro. John Moe offers the lessons he’s gatheredfrom creating and hosting the critically acclaimed hit podcast The Hilarious World of Depression. The lessons are pretty simple (“We’re Dumb About Terminology”, “The Magical Cure Potion Will Never Show Up”) and Moe illustrates them with honesty and humor while demonstrating that these lessons are things we can all keep in mind as we try to lift the stigma surrounding mental illness. By the end of the speech, which features interview snippets from the various comedians Moe has interviewed, audiences will have had a good laugh and learned a lot.
SUBMIT AN INQUIRY
- Podcast pick: A show that uses humor to tackle the stigma of depression
- The Casties: Quartz’s awards for the best podcasts of 2017
- Depression, hilarious? MPR podcast seeks to lift the stigma
- There’s Nothing Funny About Depression, Except When There Totally Is
- Our Favorite Podcast Episodes of 2017
- John Moe’s New Podcast ‘The Hilarious World of Depression’ Is Fascinating and Essential
- Trailblazers 2017: John Moe of ‘Hilarious World of Depression’