Karl Denson’s Tiny Universe
Karl Denson’s Tiny Universe is back in action with an extensive tour this Winter. The run of shows—being dubbed “Running With The Diesel”—will give fans from the Southeast, Midwest and West Coast the chance to experience what is highly regarded as one of the best live bands on the planet. Karl, who now serves as the saxophonist in The Rolling Stones, is fresh off a tour with the legendary rock band that included the highest grossing concert festival of all time, Desert Trip. With KDTU, he’ll be showcasing material from his forthcoming studio album, due in early 2017, as well as previous acclaimed KDTU recordings like ‘New Ammo’ and ’The Bridge.’ Audiences can also expect a handful of KDTU’s super-charged covers by the likes of Prince, The White Stripes and Beastie Boys. Special guests on select dates will include Jimmy Herring of Widespread Panic, Austin-based and Latin-funk purveyors, Brownout. The current KDTU touring lineup is comprised of Richmond guitarist DJ Williams, Soulive drummer Alan Evans, Greyboy Allstars bassist Chris Stillwell, Crush Effects keyboardist David Veith, Seattle trumpeter Chris Littlefield and ace slide and lap steel guitarist Seth Freeman.
- Latest album, New Ammo released Spring 2014
- Has sold over 250,000 records
- Has headlined and performed at most major festivals globally including the Fuji Rock Festival in Japan, North Sea Jazz festival in Holland, Moscow Jazz Festival in Russia, East Coast Blues and Roots Festival in Australia and the Montreux Jazz festival in Switzerland.
- US Festivals include the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival, Playboy Jazz Festival, Monterey Jazz Festival, Newport jazz Festival, Saratoga Jazz Festival, Bumpershoot and Bonnaroo.
- Has toured the world with his bands The Greyboy Allstars and The Tiny Universe as well as performed as a member of The Rolling Stones, Lenny Kravitz and Fred Wesley’s touring bands. Karl has also performed as a special guest with the Dave Matthews Band, The Allman Brothers, Roy Hargrove, Maceo Parker and others.
- Karl Denson’s Tiny Universe has shared the stage with acts as diverse as Jack Johnson, D’Angelo, James Brown, Dave Matthews band, The Allman Brothers, Keene and Maroon 5.
- Released three critically acclaimed albums with the Tiny Universe which featured special guests Michael Franti, The Greyboy Allstars, Roy Hargrove, Fred Wesley, Saul Williams, Lonnie Smith, Meshell N’degeochello and The Dap Kings.
- Released four critically acclaimed Jazz albums the last of which featured Jack Dejohnette and Dave Holland backing Karl up in a trio setting that received top reviews.